Installing multiple versions side by side

Technical discussions
Jason Toovey

Installing multiple versions side by side

Post by Jason Toovey »

Hello
Is it possible to install two versions of KernelCAD side by side? I would like to use the stable version for shipping and develop using the new beta
Thank You
Jason

gerard12

Re: Installing multiple versions side by side

Post by gerard12 »

Hi Jason
You can have multiple versions of KernelCAD installed. Only one is considered active on the computer. To activate a version just execute Start Menu > KernelCAD 4.4 (the KC version) > “Update Component Registration”

Active means which version of control is entered in the registry. We need to add a nicer way to check which version is active. At the moment it means searching registry for KerCADne.ocx. The key InProcServer32, which has the string contains full path which identifies the version. I personally rarely need to do that. I just activate the one I need

The registry is used only during the application start to find where the main .ocx component is located for any app on the machine. This means you can launch an app using one version. Then with it still running you can activate another KC version and launch the same or any other app. So you could have two different versions of KC running simultaneously

Gerard

Jason Toovey

Re: Installing multiple versions side by side

Post by Jason Toovey »

Thank you, Gerard
It is great

gerard12

Update on Update Component Registration

Post by gerard12 »

Recent Windows updates seem to have changed behaviour of the "Update Component Registration" command in start menu. Yow have to make sure now that the command is executed with administrator privileges. Try right-clicking on the command instead. If you do not see "Run As Administrator" select Properties > Compatibility Tab and turn on "Run this program as an administrator" and then click on it as normal

To be positive that the right version is being loaded start any sample (from anywhere, including another version's sample explorer), right-click and select About. The version must be the one where you executed Update Component Registration

Cheers