install problem

Forum for reporting problems
atrev

install problem

Post by atrev »

we are having trouble installing KernelCAD_Dev_4_2_3685.exe on one of our machines. it gets to 100% and then fails and rolls back and we've downloaded the installer again, and no success.

nickz
Site Admin

Re: install problem

Post by nickz »

Hi atrev
We are investigating this. We definitely test all updates.
Quick suggestion: Try the latest version of v4.3: http://www.dynoinsight.com/ProDown.htm
There were significant improvements in setup. It is still beta, but there only few bugs left and overall I believe it is already better than 4.2.
Thank you for reporting
Nick

atrev

Post by atrev »

We think this is related to a previous install of it on the machine, the main issue we have is that we have the main machine still currently on a paid licence on version 3, and when trying to open on another machine with 4, it says "You need a license to use this activex", and makes the system with version 4 unusable

nickz
Site Admin

Post by nickz »

First of all, you should be able to upgrade from any version to 4.3 without any license. Any problems they can be sorted out. V4.3 is free apart from AutoCAD support, which only makes difference when you are trying to open an autocad file.

I just did a quick check: Installed v3.2 (3.1 should have same behaviour) on one machine. Copied C# Morph sample (it does not load a model, no need to worry about its location) to another machine with v4.3 installed. I can open the form with control, compile and run without anything to do.

I also repeated the same with a new C# forms project created on 3.2 machine. Also no problems.

So, to upgrade to a later version you just need to recompile the app on a machine with the new version installed. To be absolutely sure, I recommend opening each form in designer and force its refreshing by toggling twice for example ShowGlobalAxes property. You can also just uninstall 3.* and install 4.3 on the same old machine, of course.

I would like to see an example when this does not work. In case you have some strange problems yet another way (should not have to) is: Write down values of the properties on old machine. Make a backup. Delete the control. Copy the project over to new machine with KC 4.3 installed (or upgrade KC on same machine). Open the form. Insert KernelCAD back. Change properties to what was on the old machine.

Nick

gerard12

Post by gerard12 »

This issue have been fixed in update 3733. It was relevant to Windows XP or earlier systems