Draw Visibility

Forum for reporting problems
atrev

Draw Visibility

Post by atrev »

I don't know if this is a bug, or just the way it works, but in Version 3 at least, when you have a lot of point sets loaded the view becomes very diffuclt to pan/rotate due to it drawing the points. But even when the point sets are set to visible false from the model explorer, it still is very slow, and deleting all the sets is the only way to increase the smoothness again

nickz
Site Admin

Re: Draw Visibility

Post by nickz »

Hi atrev
We had a look at the issue. I assume you are not doing something completely wrong like representing each point as a separate section. KC assumes that there are not too many point sets (more than a hundred would not be good), but each set can be very large, like hundreds of thousands of points.

We have checked, when a point set is invisible there is practically nothing executed during rendering. So most likely the problem is that in insufficient memory: Either the point set is enormous or the machine does not have enough RAM. This always slows down. Rendering is not the problem.

Try also reducing size of the sets. I think the best way to do it is to tune in settings on your 3D scanner. This might not work if you have sharp edges or highly curved areas and the scanner does not handle it. You could talk to us about software solution for that.

Have a look at the Tools menu option in the Cloud example for set reduction, although it is not the smartest way to do it.
Nick