Drilling sphere

Technical discussions
Tony Matrazzo

Drilling sphere

Post by Tony Matrazzo »

Hi
I don't know diddly about CAD requirements, other than it exists.
The software that I have constructed for my client allows them to input a set of X,Y orbital surface coordinates for positioning a drill bit onto a sphere.
The X coordinate goes from 0 to 90 degrees from the xaxis to the yaxis along the surface of the sphere.The Y coordinate goes from 0 to 359.99 degrees around the yaxis along the zplane.(I hope that makes sense)
What they have now is just a 2D rendering of these pilot hole drillings for 1/2 of a sphere.

What I was wondering is would your product be something that I could use to:
1.) Model a sphere
2.) Intersect that sphere with each pilot hole entry (Up to 350 pilot holes)
3.) Assemble all this in the background and then just pop up a preview window that allows the operator to have full rotational access to the resulting shape.

Regards,
Tony

nickz
Site Admin

Re: Drilling sphere

Post by nickz »

Hi Tony

Positioning, modelling, etc is not a problem. Such a large number of holes may be an issue, if you do it straightforward with Boolean Operations. I think after 50 holes or so it will get sluggish with any software. Simply because Boolean Operations are quite complicated

For large number of holes I think you need to do some optimisation, like: For low zoom the holes can be renderer using either textures or some custom drawing. When user zooms in it can be presented with the actual solid drilled hole calculated only for the zoomed on piece. There are more tricks. Get in touch with us via email for more details

Regards
Nick

Tony Matrazzo

Re: Drilling sphere

Post by Tony Matrazzo »

Thank you, Nick