Licensing enterprise option

Technical discussions
Ibi

Licensing enterprise option

Post by Ibi »

Dear DI

I am seriously thinking to buy my own copy of kernelCAD. I do some work for research which involves students working on industrial projects. Students normally use Parasolid, I am thinking to shift everybody on kernelCAD. Therefore it makes sense to license a separate copy privately or under my company name. As for which licence option I should be going for, I cannot make up my mind.

I am inclined to go for the enterprise option. My concern with this option is that after the first year if you release a new version I will need to buy it again, which is fine but in long term if I have some idea about your development plans I can make more informed decision. What I am really asking, is there plans to change version 5.2 in a major way? Or more to the point, if there are bug fixes on 5.2 after the first year would I be entitled to bug fixes (which is my concern).

Thank You
Ibi

nickz
Site Admin

Re: Licensing enterprise option

Post by nickz »

Hi Ibi

The subscription is for service. With an active subscription you can use any product and have support for it.

The difference is in what happens if you do not renew subscription. With normal subscriptions (yearly or lower) the KC installation will stop working (compiled apps will still run anywhere).

With the Enterprise option, the version, you had subscription for last time, will keep working and you will be able to use updates of the version, but you will not be able to use newer versions and will not have support.

The Enterprise option is not billed automatically. So if you do not renew support on time it will just expire. You can renew any time later.

Regards

Ibi

Re: Licensing enterprise option

Post by Ibi »

Thank you, Nick