Shading problem

Forum for reporting problems
Michael_777

Shading problem

Post by Michael_777 »

Hi

I am trying to shade an object imported form step. I have problem with that. I tried this also in C# data flow example.
I have added only three lines to InitModelInfo():

private void InitModelInfo():
{

m_iModel - afxKernCAdnet1.GetModel();
ISection isect = m_iModel.GetSection(0);
IMesh imesh = (IMesh) isect;
IMeshShading shading = (IMeshShading)imesh;
}

After I open linkrods.step from the installed models folder I get an exception on the IMesh imesh = (IMesh) isect; line:
An Unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidCastException' occured in DataFlow.exe

Additional information: unable to cast COM object of type 'System__ComObject' to interface type 'KernCADnet.IMesh'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with ID {14DCB303-935A-4162-ADB7-BA5FoA5E6517}' failed due to th efololwing errror: No such interface supported {exception {E_NOINTERFACE} }

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Michael

gerard12

Re: Shading problem

Post by gerard12 »

Hi Michael
The problem is that objects imported from STEP are pure parametric object. They do not actually have a mesh and cannot be shaded directly. To do what you need you need to convert it to KernelCAD’s MeshSection first. In C# it would look like:
ISection iSectImported = …
IObject_KC iObj = (IObject_KC) iSectImported;
IObject_KC iObjConverted = iObj .Convert((int) EObjectType. eObjTypeMeshSection);
ISection iSectMesh = (ISection) iObjConverted;
IMeshShading_KC shader = (IMeshShading_KC) iSectMesh;
You can keep the old object too and switch their visibility and regenerate the mesh if geometry of the initial object was modified
Regards
Gerard